Astaxanthin from Haematococcus pluvialis
THE POWER TO MOVE
Imagine a six-foot-tall man swimming upstream, including against ten-meter high waterfalls for a week, and so covering 170 kilometres upstream without a break. For salmon, that seven-day upstream marathon is not a problem. Its ultimate goal is to reach its native lake high in the mountains. How is this extremely athletic achievement possible? Salmon makes it thanks to the astaxanthin it feeds on. The pink colour of its flesh is also due to it. Because of the astaxanthin it contains, salmon meat is considered extremely healthy.
Pink flamingos also owe their colour to astaxanthin, which they take with their food. The indigenous people in Peru use their fat for the treatment of joint problems. It is beneficial due to the astaxanthin the bird absorbs.
King of Carotenoids
Astaxanthin is an exceptionally beneficial red pigment; it is also one of the most popular food supplements of today. It is derived from various sources, including from synthetic drugs. Except in salmon, it is also found in some trout species, in the shells of some crustaceans and especially in the amazing Haematococcus pluvialis microalgae. The most concentrated and highest-quality astaxanthin is derived precisely from Haematococcus pluvialis. In its products AstaVista and AlgaEye, THE GOLDEN APPLE inputs highest concentration astaxanthin harvested by the world’s oldest manufacturer of Haematococcus pluvialis. The astaxanthin contained in these microalgae is 8000 times more concentrated than in salmon.
The healing powers of Haematococcus pluvialis have been known for ages. The algae were used as a food source and medicine to treat many diseases. Haematococcus pluvialis belongs to a group of green algae, which, when subjected to bright sunlight or deprived of nutrients, fall into encystment and become red due to the carotenoid astaxanthin. Astaxanthin is produced and accumulated in the algae cells in large amounts during environmental stress and thanks to it they can survive without nutrients and water for up to 40 years.
Astaxanthin belongs to the family of carotenoids, which comprises more than 700 chemical compounds. The familiar red-orange plant pigments with powerful antioxidant characteristics such as beta-Carotene, lycopene, lutein, zeaxanthin also belong to this family, giving the characteristic colour of carrots, tomatoes, peppers and many other fruits and vegetables.
The characteristics of natural astaxanthin are impressive. It is renowned for its exceptional antioxidant power, for which it was called the King of Carotenoids:
- It is 20 times stronger than synthetic astaxanthin;
- 50 times stronger than beta-Carotene;
- 6000 times more powerful than Vitamin C;
- 550 times more powerful than Vitamin E;
- and 800 times stronger than CoQ10 (Coenzyme Q10).
As a powerful antioxidant, astaxanthin excelled in fighting free radicals, which cause diseases such as cancer, cardiovascular disease and others. It never evolves into harmful pro-oxidant and prevents the destruction of DNA.
Many of the unique properties of astaxanthin can be explained with its ability to smoothly pass through the blood barrier of the brain and retina, and thus positively affect the nervous system and brain, and the whole body through them. Unlike other antioxidants such as beta-Carotene and vitamin C, which reside either in front of or behind the cell membrane, astaxanthin, due to its unique structure, can cross to both sides, for a complete protective effect.
The intensive clinical studies of astaxanthin showed its remarkable health properties:
- Eyes – it enhances eyesight, alleviates conditions related to macular degeneration and cataracts leading to blindness. It protects the eyes from computer fatigue and from the harmful effects of the UV rays. This is the reason astaxanthin is an indispensable participant in THE GOLDEN APPLE’s AlgaEye product.
- Heart – it is beneficial to the heart muscle, increases the flexibility of the blood vessels and reduces cholesterol deposits.
- Joints and muscles – it improves their function and reduces pain during exercise.
- Body – this is the athletes’ secret weapon. It increases muscle strength and endurance and prevents muscle and joint pain after intensive muscular activity.
- Skin – it has a rejuvenating effect and protects it from the harmful effects of the UV rays.
- Brain – the only one to pass the barrier between blood and brain. Thus, it assists the healing of affected areas; gives clarity of mind; reduces the risk of Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s.
- Digestion – improves the function of the stomach and the intestines.
- Anti-inflammatory effect. Astaxanthin is a stable antioxidant.
- Enhances the potential of stem cells by propagation of nerve progenitor cells.
Product with Astaxanthin: